Friday, May 4, 2012

Symptoms of Low Back Pain

Low Back Pain, Back Pain Lower, Back Pain
The symptoms of low back pain presents in a variety of ways. Some only complain of pain in their backs while others have both leg and back pain. Walking a distance can precipitate their painful area. Some patients may have localized back pain when prolong sitting or sitting, while others have pain only when flexing or extending their back. Most people find that lying down will improve their pain and after their initial severe episode, many will be able to rest at night without severe pain. Most people experience more severe pain when they lift or carry something heavy. Some get relief from extending the back.

Leg pain also can be part of the problem. The pain is most common in the back or outer side of the thigh, and can go all the way to the foot. Pain that goes to the foot is called “sciatica” because it is pain that follows the course of the sciatic nerve. Sciatica is often made worse by coughing or sneezing or straining.
Low Back Pain, Back Pain Lower, Back Pain
For about 60% of back pain, the acute episode of back pain can be very severe for a few days or a week and then will often improve. By 2 weeks to 4 weeks, most people get better. The cause of this type of pain is usually injury to the muscles or ligaments. The rest of 40% of patients can have disabling pain flare without getting better including disabling effects interfering standing, sitting and walking, resulting in hospitalization and medicalisation. These patients usually have a spine disorder, involving nerves, discs and facet joints. The length of time between episodes of pain flare varies greatly from person to person, as does the length of each episode, the intensity of each episode, and how well each individual copes with the pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment